Our house has some quirks…
- The floors creak and squeak. No one will ever be able to sneak anywhere out of that house without all of us hearing them. (and that means YOU kids… when you get older)
- There’s a light switch in the master bedroom that doesn’t control anything in that room. For days it was “is anything happening now” with that light switch. I kept seeing that commercial in my head. The one where the guy is asking his wife to pay attention as he flips the switch… then you see that it controls the garage door of one of his neighbors. That’s what I was afraid of. Then one night we realized that one of the outside flood lights wasn’t turning off. We couldn’t find the light switch for it anywhere. Oh wait – let’s try the one in the master bedroom. Yeah – that makes sense. It turned it off… of course.
- All of the air vents are low to the ground – so furniture arranging is like playing a game of Twister… “if we move the couch over here and the TV over here and the table over here… we can redirect the flow of air so that it hits you if you sit over here” Is the low air vent arrangement an 80’s thing? ‘Cause I was a mere wee-babe in the 1980’s… so I don’t remember. (shut-up all of you)
- We have two garage doors and only one little clicker thing to automatically open the garage. Can you just go out and buy another one? I don’t even know. I actually have my own personal garage door openers… see the photo of the two kids up there? Yeah – those are my garage door openers. When I turn into the subdivision, I call home and ask for a garage-door-opener. Lately it’s turned into a little event where the kids want to climb into the driver’s seat with me and steer the car into the garage. (those garage-door-openers are getting quite pushy)
- Every single… and I mean EVERY SINGLE electrical outlet in the house is upside down. That may not be such a big deal… until you plug in a glowing dolphin nightlight in the girl’s room. The poor dolphin looks like he’s a gonner… usually when fish swim upside down it’s time to flush them down the toilet. (I know, Skylar, dolphins are mammals… but it’s funnier this way)
Still… with all it’s quirks, I LOVE it!