Do you know someone like this? If you did… what would you do? (hypothetically, of course)
- Are self-centered and boastful
- Seek constant attention and admiration
- Consider themselves better than others
- Exaggerate their talents and achievements
- Believe that they are entitled to special treatment
- Are easily hurt but may not show it
- Set unrealistic goals
- May take advantage of others to achieve their goals
- Preoccupation with fantasies that focus on unlimited success, power, intelligence, beauty, or love
- Belief that he or she is “special” and unique, and can only be understood by other special people
- Expectation that others will automatically go along with what he or she wants
- Inability to recognize or identify with the feelings, needs, and viewpoints of others
- Envy of others or a belief that others are envious of him or her
- Hypersensitivity to insults (real or imagined), criticism, or defeat, possibly reacting with rage, shame and humiliation
- Arrogant behavior and/or attitude
Would you encourage them to get help? Obviously they need some outside assistance… dontcha think? Or would you just distance yourself from them?
I think I would just distance myself from them… but would they wonder why? If they did wonder, outloud to you, would you be honest with them?
I don’t want to be surrounded by negative people. I don’t judge people based on where they live or what they do for a living or how much they make. And I don’t want to be around people that do. There’s bad and good everywhere… and even the best neighborhoods have bad things in them.
As a completely hypothetical example: My neighborhood is supposedly a “good” neighborhood… and there have been not-so-good (um, bad) things happen in this neighborhood that I’ve witnessed with my own eyes AND have heard about from people I know. You can never think that just because you live here that you are “better” than someone that doesn’t. That’s bullshit. And you shouldn’t judge others because of it. It’s stupid. And it makes you look stupid doing it. And it makes people not want to be around you.
I don’t want to constantly feel like I’m being judged or compared to some imaginary or perceived status that I may or may not have.
So… how would I deal with a person like this? I wouldn’t deal with them at all. But that’s just me.
Hypothetically, of course.